This is a “getting to know me” post, so you can see my tastes and learn a little more about me. I wanted to write about this project even though it was so long ago, because it was my first attempt at making a quilt. It isn’t fancy and isn’t even quilted properly, but it is still being loved every day by my youngest daughter, so I consider it a success.
Prior to decorating my daughter’s nursery, I mostly sewed clothing for myself. I made some roman shades for the sun room at our old house, but that was pretty much the extent of my non-garment sewing attempts pre-2010. Part of the reason I made all the decor for my daughter’s nursery was the cost savings. But also, I didn’t really want the exact same stuff that everyone else gets for their kids from a big box store (even though I love getting a Land Of Nod catalog in the mail and always read it thoroughly).
I made a quilt, curtains, a pillow, a bumper guard and a mobile. I went to my favorite fabric shop in Gastonia, NC, Mary Jo’s and browsed their quilting cotton for hours. I found one print that I loved immediately. At the time I didn’t realize it was a Free Spirit fabric, but now it makes sense that I loved it so much, since I like all their designers and fabrics. The print is from the collection called California Dreamin’ by Jenean Morrison.
Then I chose several monochromatic fabrics to match the colors in that print, plus a hot pink and white fabric from Michael Miller that kind of reminds me of a lattice design.
The theme for the bedroom was bunnies. I appliqued bunnies that I cut out from white minky on the quilt and the pillow. My dad bought me an adorable bunny lamp for the dresser. At an antique store, I found a white ceramic planter that is shaped like a bunny (what luck!). And I also found the perfect print to match the theme and my focal fabric on Etsy from the store Make Me Some Art. Since my girls now share a room I don’t have a place to put this print, but I intend on rehanging it in my future studio.
For the bumper guard, I just sewed equally sized squares together, sandwiched them around quilt batting, bound the whole thing and added ribbons to tie it to the crib rails. It was pretty easy to measure the inside of the crib to determine how large the squares of fabric should be. It wasn’t very time consuming, but did require a good amount of fabric, so it’s a shame I had to remove it as soon as the baby was able to sit up, at about 5 months. I don’t even think I used it at all for my second daughter.
The pillow was also really easy. Again, just rectangles sewn together with a single piece of the white print for the backside. I sewed coordinating ribbon on the seams, but I didn’t even bother to put a zipper in it; I just sewed it closed. This was the quickest item created for the nursery, but the most useful for me. I am so glad I made this pillow because I sat in that rocking chair nursing and rocking my little babe for many, many hours and the pillow was the perfect size to support my back.
The quilt matches the design of the pillow and bumper guard. It is simply rectangular strips of fabric sewn together. The back is hot pink minky. There are 3 white minky bunnies appliqued onto the green section of fabric. I didn’t take a full picture of it when it was still new and clean looking, but a good portion of it can be seen in the picture above with the bumper guard.
Unfortunately, I don’t have a good picture of the mobile either, but it can be seen in the picture below of the whole nursery. However, I can tell you a great hack to make a custom mobile to match the rest of your nursery decor. I bought a mobile that was on the clearance shelf at Babies R Us. The package had been opened and damaged, but the mobile operated perfectly. When my sister came to visit, she actually finished this task for me because I was so tired. She took apart the umbrella portion of the mobile using a seam ripper, then used those pieces of fabric as a pattern. She cut new fabric from my selection and sewed it back together just like the original. Then I used that same bunny shape to cut out 4 more bunnies and hung them from the corners of the mobile’s umbrella using ribbon. It looked fantastic. I would highly recommend this hack to anyone who wants the mobile to coordinate with the other fabrics in a nursery. It only took my sister a couple of hours to complete the mobile and she even went the extra mile and added cording where the pieces of the umbrella joined.
Here are two pictures of the completed nursery.
The quilt is still used every single day; all day long actually. My oldest daughter really took to her Jelly Cat giraffe, but my second daughter took to the blankie and never let go! She loves the soft minky on the back. She carries it with her all over the house and sleeps with it every night. The binding is starting to show wear and it is kind of dingy looking even though I wash it frequently. I have thought that if it starts to show too much wear and tear or if my daughter is still this attached to it after she becomes too tall for it to cover her body that I still have all the fabric from the bumper guard and from the curtains, I could rework a new quilt in a queen size or lap size for her.